Monday, December 1, 2008

i remember it well.

i was crossing the second street bridge wearing a coat with fur lining. my feet were bare, despite the cold. and it hurt. i remember it hurting. but i kept walking. i stepped across the state line and down main roads, alone. and there you were, standing across the street wearing a green thick coat. i yelled, and my voice was heard, for once. i ran across the road and grabbed your hand and told you what my head wouldnt hold back. all you did was smile at me, and hugged me in the way i havent been hugged in so long. you did not want to let me go, and i smiled and wrapped my arms tighter. and so we stood, on the corner of a familiar street, never wanting to let go.my feet were dirty and cut, bleeding onto the sidewalk. you looked down at them and laughed a little, and picked me up 2 inches off the ground to walk me across the busy street. we walked hand-in-hand down alleys and streets, pretending nothing ever happened, nothing ever changed. i closed my eyes and walked, smelling the sweet smell of cold air. it didnt burn, this time. the wind didnt sting as much. and then you were gone, into a house i had never seen before, and my feet hurt worse than they ever had. there was no help for me to walk the street. so i crawled...

we met again on the same sidewalk, on the same street. the concrete still stained from the blood on my feet. they werent cut this time, but i still had no shoes. and we had a day out, the followed into a night out. we stumbled to a bar underground. i had never seen the place before, and it was all too familiar with you. at the end of the night, we walked up the stairs, and you were still there. walk me home.

No comments: